How to Prepare for NEET Biology – Medical UG aspirants starting their NEET Biology Preparation must be aware of all the tips and tricks that help them to achieve the best possible results. Candidates must start their preparation for NEET Biology since Class 11 as the syllabus carries equal distribution of questions from Class 11 and Class 12. In case one is wondering about how to prepare for NEET Biology, this article has got you covered. Biology section in the NEET question paper offers comprises 90 questions offering a total of 360 marks. Preparation for NEET Biology requires a candidate to be thorough with the NCERT as the syllabus and questions for the Biology are almost entirely based on it. Candidates undergoing their NEET Biology preparation must understand the concepts included in the syllabus and practice the questions based on their application. Analysis of NEET previous year question papers has revealed that the difficulty level of the question paper has increased over the years. Check here for all there is to know about preparation for NEET Biology including changes, important dates and more.
IMPORTANT: NEET 2019 Knockout Online Course Available for NEET Aspirants
[A personalized course to clear NEET 2019 with the access of Mock Test Series (Subject & Topic Wise), 250 Hours Videos & E-Lectures, 50,000+ Concepts & Topics, 16 Years NEET Solved Papers, Most Asked Questions, Personalized Strength Sheet and more. Get Now]
NEET 2019 is being conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA). The examination will be conducted twice a year in the online mode. In 2019, NEET will be held in the months of February and May across eight different sittings in each session, from which the candidates will be able to book their exam date and slot. Candidates in each slot will be given a unique set of questions selected randomly from a pool of questions developed by psychometricians and subject matter experts.
How to Prepare for NEET Biology - Preparation Strategies
1. Know and divide the syllabus: Candidates preparing for NEET Biology must be familiar with the fact that the syllabus of the subject is vast and requires deep understanding. The Biology portion comprises of 38 chapters from the curriculum of Class 11 and 12 combined. It is necessary for the candidates to break up the syllabus into smaller sections in order to prepare for NEET Biology and also have knowledge of the important topics so that the time of study could be devoted accordingly. A detailed description of the syllabus and the topics of importance among those have been provided here for candidates’ reference purpose.
Syllabus for NEET Biology
Topic / Chapters
Topic / Chapters
Diversity of Living Organisms
Chapter-1: The Living World
Chapter-1: Reproduction in Organisms
Chapter-2: Biological Classification
Chapter-2: Sexual Reproduction in Flowering Plants
Chapter-3: Plant Kingdom
Chapter-3: Human Reproduction
Chapter-4: Animal Kingdom
Chapter-4: Reproductive Health
Structural Organisation in Plants & Animals
Genetics and Evolution
Chapter-5: Morphology of Flowering Plants
Chapter-5: Principles of Inheritance and Variation
Chapter-6: Anatomy of Flowering Plants
Chapter-6: Molecular Basis of Inheritance
Chapter-7: Structural Organisation in Animals
Cell: Structure and Function
Biology and Human Welfare
Chapter-8: Cell-The Unit of Life
Chapter-8: Human Health and Diseases
Chapter-9: Strategies for Enhancement in Food Production
Chapter-10: Cell Cycle and Cell Division
Chapter-10: Microbes in Human Welfare
Biotechnology and its Applications
Chapter-11: Transport in Plants
Chapter-11: Biotechnology - Principles and Processes
Chapter-12: Mineral Nutrition
Chapter-12: Biotechnology and its Application
Chapter-13: Photosynthesis in Higher Plants
Ecology and Environment
Chapter-14: Respiration in Plants
Chapter-13: Organisms and Populations
Chapter-15: Plant - Growth and Development
Chapter-15: Biodiversity and its Conservation
Chapter-16: Digestion and Absorption
Chapter-16: Environmental Issues
Chapter-17: Breathing and Exchange of Gases
Chapter-18: Body Fluids and Circulation
Chapter-19: Excretory Products and Their Elimination
Chapter-20: Locomotion and Movement
Chapter-21: Neural Control and Coordination
Chapter-22: Chemical Coordination and Integration
Prepare for NEET 2019 with concept and topic wise videos by exam experts. Get the complete course videos direct to your inbox. Click to Subscribe
How to Prepare for NEET Biology - Important Topics
Based on the weightage and the frequency of questions over the years, the important topics for preparation of NEET Biology can be listed as
Genetics and Evolution
Physiology – Plant and Human
Reproduction – Flowering Plants and Human
Diversity in Living Organisms
Structural Organization in Living Organisms
Cell Structure and Function
2. Plan Out the Study Schedule: An effective plan of study goes a long way especially when it comes to preparing for NEET Biology keeping the entire syllabus in perspective. The time for each of the topic within the syllabus of NEET must be allocated according to the importance of the topics. It is also important that one adheres to the study schedule and includes changes in it as one progresses.
3. Choosing NEET Biology Books: This aspect is the most important for NEET Biology preparation. The quality of resources that one utilizes for preparation is reflected in the score. In the opinion of many toppers and experts, the NCERT should form the base of one’s understanding of concepts. However, to refine the preparation aspirants must also try to include the books mentioned below in their NEET Biology preparation.
Biology Vol 1 and Vol 2 by Trueman
Objective Biology by Dinesh
Objective Botany by Ansari
Pradeep Guide on Biology
Objective NCERT at Your Fingertips by MTG
4. Design tables and charts: Summarize your study in the form of charts and tables, that will act as a quick revision strategy preceding the exam days. Utilizing personal keywords that will enable to remember would prove to be the most useful. Try and include important applications and examples in these charts.
5. Practice earnestly: Aspirants preparing Biology for NEET 2019 must develop the habit of intense practice. Understanding of concepts in the theory can only be implemented through practice. A number of NEET sample papers and previous year question papers should be solved to acquire an idea about the pattern of questions that will be asked.
6. Take up mock tests: National Testing Agency is to set up practice centres across the country in various places so that candidates can practice taking online tests. Aspirants should, therefore, take up as many mock tests as possible to enhance their preparation for NEET Biology.
7. Revise Regularly: To reap the proper benefits of studying and practicing one should keep revising at regular intervals. This ensures that whatever has been studied stays fresh in the memory. Candidates should make it a point to revise the entire syllabus several times before the exams so as to be thorough with each concept included in each topic. Regular revision also allows one to keep track of the progress of the study.
How to Prepare for NEET Biology – Topper Tips
AIR 1, Kalpana Kumari who achieved the perfect score in NEET Biology in 2018 mentioned that she followed NCERT, regular practice and the notes provided at her coaching institute and said, “I never faced a difficulty in Biology but you need to give equal time to this section as well since it carries 360 marks”.
AIR 3, Himanshu Sharma, who scored 350 out of 360, considered NEET Biology to be a moderately tough section and said, “Since some of the questions in Biology were asked from outside the NCERT textbooks”. He referred to have studied authored books apart from the NCERT for preparation of NEET Biology.
Krishna Ashish Agarwal, NEET 2018 AIR 7, said, “If you want to clear NEET then Biology is the most important section”. He believed that solving practice papers helped him in scoring 350 out of 360 in NEET Biology.
How to Prepare for NEET Biology - Expert Opinion
Academic expert and Head of T.I.M.E. Chennai, Anand Nagarajan, says, “For NEET Biology, reading and re-reading NCERT textbooks is very important. NEET, without doubt, is a Biology-centric test with 50% of the questions coming from the subject. All chapters of Biology are equally important. Note down and memorize the common and scientific names of the organisms while reading. Developing a strong conceptual understanding will help students score well in Biology in NEET”.
Aakash Choudhary, Director of Aakash Educational Services, shares his take on NEET Biology preparation with Careers360 and says, “For NEET Biology Prepare ‘Human Physiology’, ‘Plant Physiology’, ‘Cell Biology’, and ‘Biomolecules’ from Class XI syllabus according to previous questions in NEET. Moreover, ‘Animalia’ and ‘Plantae’ must be given special attention as they are comparatively tough topics. The main emphasis, however, should be on characteristics of non-chordate and chordate phyla along with their examples. Also, memorize the common and scientific names of the organisms. Exercise as many numerical problems from ‘Genetics’ as you can along with the pedigree chart. You must also establish a strong understanding conceptually about ‘Biotechnology’ and ‘Ecology’”.
The preparation strategies mentioned for NEET Biology as well as the opinions of experts and toppers are likely to assist aspirants in achieving the desired score in Biology section of NEET 2019.
Mode of Examination
Duration of Examination
Total Number of Questions
Physics – 45 Questions
Chemistry – 45 Questions
Biology – 90 Questions
+4 marks for each correct answer;
-1 mark for each wrong answer;
0 mark for each unanswered question
Aggregate score calculation
Total number of correct answers X 4 – Total number of incorrect answers X 1
(Note: There are no marks for attempting of questions)